The deadline for grant applications will be Friday, July 21, 2023. Late entries cannot be accepted. A fillable form can be downloaded from Systemic Change Grant Program 2023 Application. Electronic signatures are permitted, and a submission from the email address of the president will count as a signature.
The Rule says, “The Society is concerned not only with alleviating need but also with identifying the unjust structures that cause it. It is, therefore, committed to identifying the root causes of poverty and to contributing to their elimination. In all its charitable actions there should be a search for justice; in its struggle for justice, the Society must keep in mind the demands of charity” (7.1). Systemic Change is not a substitute for meeting the “demands of charity” that Vincentians undertake; it is a complement to that work.
The National Council of the United States Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SVdP) will make grants of up to $20,000 to support Systemic Change projects at eligible Vincentian Councils or Conferences for one year. The National Council invites Councils and Conferences with either existing Systemic Change programs, or the framework of a new program, to complete a brief Intent to Apply form. Councils and Conferences submitting impactful and innovative programs will be invited to submit full proposals to an open and competitive process.
The Application form should be brief (no more than two pages) that includes:
1. Program Description: A couple paragraphs the explain the root cause of poverty in the community being addressed, what the program does, how you know it will address the root cause, specific populations served (if relevant), and duration.
2. Statement of Need: In a few sentences, describes how the program embodies at least some of the Systemic Change program criteria.
3. Desired Outcomes: Tell us the desired outcome of your program.
4. Amount Requested: The total amount requested and how the funds will be spent (can be a brief paragraph, a full proposal will need a detailed budget).
5. Award winners must fill out the mid-year progress report by February 23, 2024 – Systemic Change Grant Program 2023 Progress Report
Completed forms can be submitted to Gerri Sample, Senior Advancement Services Associate, at
Questions can be directed to Steve Uram, National Director of Poverty Programs, or Becca Kazdoy, Manager of Poverty Programs at email@example.com.