Director of Program and Strategic Development
The Director of Program and Strategic Development analyzes member and external information to provide guidance to the National Council’s CEO and Board of Directors on new national and local programs, national strategies, and subsidiaries. S/He will be a key member of the executive team and will serve as a trusted partner to the CEO. The ideal candidate will be innovative, diplomatic, data-driven, and a strategic thinker and executor. S/He analyzes business information to provide members with tools to further develop existing business and services offerings. S/He identifies current and future trends that may impact the mission and activities of the Society, communicating findings and possible preventions and responses for the Protection and enhancement of the Society’s impact. St. Louis presence highly preferred.
- Lead the strategy team and manage outside consultants to implement, develop, and evaluate the organizations’ strategic directions.
- As program ideas arise, research their potential and work with leadership to assess the degree to which the ideas advance the mission and objectives of the organizations. Analyze or program impact in alignment with the Society’s mission, financial opportunity, risk, and competition’s effect on the Society’s reputation and brand. Evaluate other salient factors to determine which ideas should proceed to the national CEO and National Board for further discussion.
- Collaborate with the SVdP USA grants management team to lead implementation of program ideas through collaborative funding opportunities.
- Observe and analyze external, societal, and business trends that currently or may in the near future impact the mission, business and activities of the Society. Report findings and observations, along with recommendations for preventative measures and responses, to Society leadership. Assist/lead the design of high quality qualitative and quantitative analyses and regularly communicate the resulting analyses and elevated key insights.
- Develop business plans for any ideas above that proceed to the next level of discussion, including financial pro formas, leadership needs, capital plans if any, staffing, startup costs, rollout plans and other elements for a successful business or program launch and multiyear development.
- With other national staff and local leaders, analyze current operations of Society programs for the purpose of developing and recommending best practices including those in spiritual formation, services for the poor, membership recruitment and development and all other areas. These may include models in existing Council/Conference examples and external/new ideas for Society testing.
- Serve as the National Council’s “research and development” resource for the Board and CEO to consider new program ideas, national strategic direction of the Society, and related futures thinking.
- Upon assignment, staff the National Board of Directors’ strategic planning committee or related teams.
- The Director may directly manage one or more high profile strategic National Council initiatives. Program management requires strong project management and relationship management skills, establishing clear objectives and timelines, and solid execution.
- S/He advances current strategic partnerships and identifies opportunities for new strategic partnerships.
- Leads the ideation, preparation, and delivery of tactical and strategic updates on strategic partnerships requested by the leadership team, Board of Directors and other priority partners.
- Ability to assess and prioritize strategic initiatives.
- Ability to assess and manage risk.
- Flexible approach to work and ability to manage ambiguity in a volunteer-driven work environment.
- Experience with social impact nonprofits is preferred; experience working with membership organizations is a plus.
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience Requirements
- Knowledge of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul’s mission, values and offerings preferred.
- Experience in data collection and analysis, forecasting, and strategic information leading to business planning including startup and pro forma development.
- Financial acumen to develop budgets, sales/expense forecasts, business plans and related reporting documents.
- Experience in trends analysis, research, and potential impact conclusions.
- Outstanding presentation skills including business pitches, and verbal and written communications.
- Experience working in a highly collaborative team environment among staff and volunteers.
- Ability to listen deeply and communicate proactively, transparently, and diplomatically; excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Able to organize, prioritize multiple projects, and meet deadlines in a time-sensitive environment. Exceptional engagement and relationship management skills.
- Supports the Rule and Bylaws of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.
- Adheres to policies and procedures of the Society and all pertinent legal regulations.
- Prepares and accomplishes annual performance and program objectives.
- Participates in annual self-evaluation and performance review.
Full-time employees working 30 or more hours per week, the package includes:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Paid Vacation, PTO and Holiday Leave
The National Council of the United States, Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.