The National Council of the United States, Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
In order to better serve our growing number of Spanish-speaking Members, the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, National Council of the United States, seeks an Associate Vincentian Formation Director who is a native Spanish speaker, well-grounded in Catholic faith and teaching, and a dedicated student of Vincentian spirituality and heritage.
Working closely with the National Vincentian Formation Director, the successful candidate will help to provide direction in the spiritual formation and training of the membership of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul in the United States.
- Assists the National Vincentian Formation Director to ensure the National Council Office and its staff function in accord with National Council policy, the Rule of the Society, and as individuals who see Christ in those in need.
- Assists the National Vincentian Formation Director to ensure the Vision, Mission, Values and strategic plans of the Society in the United States are implemented professionally, on time, and within budget.
- Assists the National Vincentian Formation Director to recommend to the CEO and President plans for consideration and adoption for current and future programs or operations of the National Council and the Society as a whole.
- Provides Vincentian membership, with a special focus on Spanish-speaking Members, materials and resources relative to the primary focus of the Society: Vincentian Spirituality and Heritage.
- Takes initiative and collaborates in the implementation of National Strategic Plan Formation goal.
- Serves as staff for National Formation Committee and assists National Committee Chairpersons with programs, communications, and reports.
- Collaborates in the creation of Vincentian materials and training for Spiritual Advisors, with a special focus on Spanish-speaking Spiritual Advisors.
- Collaborates in the production of Spanish language materials for the National Ozanam Orientation program and the training of Ozanam Orientation Formators and Presenters.
- Collaborates with the Regional and Council Vincentian Formation Committees and plans, encouraging greater inclusiveness and support for Spanish-speaking Members and Leaders.
- Collaborates in the design and implementation of the formation programs for current and future leadership of the Society.
- Supports the National Vincentian Formation Director in creating and delivering on-line formation programs and supervising Formation resources posted on the website.
- Assists National Council with spiritual formation issues as they impact on publications, meetings, and other National activities.
- Is available when invited for presentations at days of prayer, retreats, Ozanam Orientation programs at Council, Regional, and National Meetings.
- Attends Regional, National and other meetings as directed by the Society’s leadership.
- Maintains confidentiality about any proprietary data and privileged information concerning SVdP, its staff, members, volunteers, entities and programs.
- Other assignments as determined by the National Vincentian Formation Director.
- Understanding of the mission, vision, and values of the Society.
- Ability to articulate Vincentian spirituality.
- Ability to analyze, clarify and problem solve.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Ability to address various audiences.
- Ability to plan.
- Ability to teach in areas of spiritual formation.
- Awareness of National, Regional and/or local needs.
- Experiential knowledge of Vincentian spirituality.
- Spiritual formation and education experience.
- Passion for the Vincentian heritage and spirituality.
- Conceptualization of the implementation of the Strategic Plan of the Society.
- Competent in developing measurable objectives.
- Willingness to function as part of a team.
- Ability to deal responsively with internal and external customers.
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience Requirements
- Fluent in spoken and written Spanish; preferably a native Spanish speaker.
- Ability to understand the wider context and create meaning in translation to the target language.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret historical, spiritual, and theological texts, and to convey their meanings in language accessible to lay people of varying educational backgrounds.
- Ability to write reports, correspondence, and procedural manuals reflecting good policies and governance.
- Is a Catholic who understands the teachings and principles of the Catholic Church.
- Knowledge of and experience with the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.
- Knowledge and experience of Vincentian spirituality and heritage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable and experienced as a public speaker.
- Education and organizational skills.
- Skills in multitasking.
- Computer skills.
- Interpersonal relational skills.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Degree in Pastoral Theology or related experience.
- 3-5 years in Lay formation experience.
- In-depth knowledge of the lives of St. Vincent de Paul, St Louise de Marillac, Blessed Frédéric Ozanam, and Blessed Rosalie Rendu.
- Currently a member of the Society or of a Vincentian Family organization.
- Being a Vincentian presence throughout the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.
- Provide assistance to Diocesan Councils and individual Conferences throughout the United States.
- Multiple interfacing within the Society regarding its relationship with God.
- Enhance the operational effectiveness of the National Council’s staff.
- Implement the challenge of Vincentian leadership for the formation of members.
- Supports the Rule (SVdP USA governance manual) and Bylaws of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.
- Adheres to policies and procedures of the Society and all pertinent legal regulations.
- Prepares and accomplishes annual performance objectives.
- Participates in annual self-evaluation and performance review.
Position descriptions are an overview of the duties, responsibilities, and requirements of the position. Employees may be required to perform other job-related assignments as requested.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an application and EEOC self-identifying documents.