With the mid-term election over, Congress is back in Washington beginning to wrap-up their 2022 legislative session. Congress is expected to take up a corporate tax bill. While reducing taxes for corporations is very popular and usually passes, it will take 60 votes to pass in the U.S. Senate. We need your senators to agree that the Child Tax Credit (CTC) expansion should be part of that broader tax package.
Before we send an action alert, we wanted to share some facts and show why this issue is critical to our mission.
Here are some facts about the Child Tax Credit:
- The American Rescue Plan Act expanded the 2021 Child Tax Credit (CTC) to almost 90% of children in the U.S.
- The CTC cut child poverty by 46 percent last year.
- The CTC monthly payments helped parents afford necessities such as rent, food, gas, utilities, childcare, and clothes for their kids.
- The CTC monthly payments lifted more than 3 million children from poverty each month they went out.
- The CTC expansion in the American Rescue plan has expired.
- Without the expansion of the CTC, child poverty is expected to reach pre-pandemic levels
Are Vincentians in this alone?
No, we and other faith and anti-poverty organizations are in this fight together. That said, advocacy is a team sport. We are more effective when everyone plays a role. Nobody should sit on the sidelines.
What can you do now?
Sign up to be an advocate! Go to our Advocacy website and go to the top right part of the page where it says Sign up for alerts and add your email address and zip code. You will be notified when we send out the action alert for you to send to your U.S. Senators in the coming weeks.
Also, add this website to your favorites. We will need your help to contact your legislators during key issues!
If you are interested in learning more about the Child Tax Credit and it’s effect on Childhood Poverty, tune in to an informational webinar on Thursday, December 15 at 2:00 PM CENTRAL. Register here.